Serial Dilution Bags – eco-friendly consumable for sample dilutions
The material-optimized disposable Serial Dilution Bags are specially designed for the Inlabtec Serial Diluter systems and are intended for the cost-effective preparation of dilutions for microbiological testing of food, water, probiotics, etc.
The sterile Serial Dilution Bags are made of only about 250 mg pure polyethylene and the plastic waste generated after use is ten to thirty times less than with conventional disposable test tubes or cups. Therefore the Serial Dilution Bags reduce effort and costs without unnecessarily burdening the environment and are the most adequate consumable for reliable and convenient preparations of decimal dilutions.
Vidéo avec textes en Français.
Prices and scope of delivery of Serial Dilution Bags
Specifications of Serial Dilution Bags
Q&A about Serial Serial Dilution Bags
What are the cost savings per dilution?
The costs per dilution are reduced on average by a factor of 3 – 5 if prefilled disposable test tubes or cups have been used up to now.
If the test tubes are still washed, filled and sterilized in the laboratory, the costs per dilution are approximately halved.
What is simplified, is different?
- The time-consuming preparation of test tubes or the purchase of expensive disposable test tubes is eliminated.
- Dilution is accelerated by simplified handling, which also reduces the risk for repetitive strain injuries, as test tubes and lids do not have to be manipulated and mixing is automatic.
Is it ecologically sensible to use Serial Dilution Bags?
Serial Dilution Bags were developed with the goal of producing a modern, cost-effective consumable using as few resources as possible, so laboratories can reduce plastic waste without compromising productivity and reliability.
- The waste weight and volume produced by the use of the bags is minimal. For comparison: a shopping bag of medium size made of plastic corresponds to about 100 Serial Dilution Bags or a plastic test tube to about 25 Serial Dilution Bags
- The energy consumption for the cleaning and sterilization of test tubes is in the same range as for the production, transport and disposal by incineration of the same amount of Serial Dilution Bags.
- Polyethylene is a valuable energy storage free of pollutants, which is used in its combustion for energy production or which can be recycled.
- The bags are stored at room temperature, therefore no space is needed in the refrigerator/ cold room.
- The weight for transportation is more than 30 x lower than for prefilled test tubes or cups.
How much storage space do I save with Serial Dilution Bags?
A box Serial Dilution Bags 100100, 13.5 cm x 5 cm x 23.5 cm in size, requires a storage volume of approximately 1.6 l.
Compared to the same amount of filled test tubes or cups, the need for storage space is about thirty times less.
What material are the Serial Dilution Bags made of?
The Serial Dilution Bags are made of high purity virgin polyethylene (PE) under clean room conditions. The Serial Dilution Bags comply with the regulations EU No. 10/ 2011 of 14.1.2011, 1935/ 2004 of 27.10.2004 and 2013/ 2006 of 22.12. 2006 and U.S. FDA 21, CFF 04, Title 21 (plastic materials and articles in contact with food).
Shelf life of the Serial Dilution Bags?
The shelf life at room temperature of the Serial Dilution Bags is guaranteed for five years after production, provided the box is shrink-wrapped in the protective film.
How long can an opened box of Serial Dilution Bags be used?
After removing the protective film from the packaging it is recommended to use the Serial Dilution Bags within three months.
What are the optimal storage conditions for the Serial Dilution Bags?
Store protected from direct solar light at room temperature (10 – 30 °C).
Can I store the filled Serial Dilution Bags?
The used Serial Dilution Bags can be stored in the Bagshell 100030. A Bagshell is included in the scope of delivery.
What is the evaporation rate with filled Serial Dilution Bags compared to classical dilution tubes?
The evaporation rate for filled Serial Dilution Bags and dilution tubes in the refrigerator is identical with approx. 5 – 10 mg (µl) per 24 hours per bag or capped test tube with 9 ml of diluent.
Do the Serial Dilution Bags contain any substances that could inhibit bacterial growth?
As the Serial Dilution Bags are made of high-purity virgin polyethylene and free of any substances that could inhibit the growth of microorganisms.
How is the sterility of the Serial Dilution Bags ensured?
The Serial Dilution Bags are manufactured under cleanest conditions according to DIN EN ISO 13485 for medical device manufacturers. An independent test laboratory has proven through dosimetric and microbiological validation that no microbial growth can be detected and that the Serial Dilution Bags are sterile. The sterility of the produced Serial Dilution Bags is continuously checked.
What is the energy consumption for the production of Serial Dilution Bags?
The energy required to manufacture 1’000 Serial Dilution Bags is approximately 20 MJ. Of this, 8 MJ (40%) is recovered in waste incineration. The net energy requirement is therefore around 12 MJ for 1’000 Serial Dilution Bags.
For comparison: a washing cycle for 1’000 test tubes with a dishwasher consumes about 4 – 6 MJ of energy and sterilization in a steam autoclave consumes about 8 – 10 MJ.
How is a homogeneous mixing in the Serial Dilution Bags ensured?
The Serial Dilution Bags have been developed together with the Serial Diluter TA for homogeneous dilutions and are characterised as follows:
1. The Serial Dilution Bags are divided in the Serial Diluter into an addition and removal zone in order to exclude carry-over with higher concentrated sample material
2. 45° bevels on the bottom ensure a targeted deflection of the incoming liquid jet, creating a perfect counter-clockwise vortex.
3. The liquid jet is accelerated by an additionally generated pressure surge to quickly form an intensive vortex.
4. The rising air at the end of the liquid delivery causes an abrupt reversal of the vortex’s direction of rotation.
The Serial Diluter UA has an integrated mixer which ensures homogeneous mixing of sample and diluent in the Serial Dilutioni Bags triggered by simply moving the handle from one position to the next. See demo video.
More information on how to use our products can be found in Support.